2005-09-09

Exactly what I was looking for

As we enter mid-September, I was beginning to worry that my new Southern California home would fail to deliver my favorite season. After a lifetime of midwestern autumns, I notice that many of my lunchtime conversations have been laments about the leaves not changing, the air not getting cool and crisp. This morning, over my breakfast coffee, I perused REI's new mailing, which featured Fall's Favorite Places, rain protection, cozy fleeces, and trail runners and cross-trainers that can keep your feet dry even in wet conditions. I long for fall.

Today is Casual Friday at work. Despite the "casual everyday" policy and the "even more casual Friday" culture, this is my first time wearing jeans on the job. It feels very good.

Out the door of my apartment, it was cool and half-cloudy. My arms sticking out from short sleeves actually felt comfortable, for once the impending sweat retreating back into the lower layers of my pores. This was a great morning.

Driving south, there was a fog over the mountains. The sun had not yet broken through, and the air was heavy with moisture instead of smog.

And the radio played Counting Crows and Norah Jones.

So it may get sunny and hot later. But right now I don't care. I'm on an autumn high. This morning just felt right. It was exactly what I was looking for.