2005-09-11

Stargazing Revisited

I had quite the experience going to see the Perseid Meteor Shower this year. Yes, I know it occurred in mid-August, but as for this post, better late than never, right?

I nearly had forgotten that the Perseids were going on, but then at work that Friday a few weeks back Ryan mentioned that he and his girlfriend and another couple were driving out to dark skies. At lunch hour I looked online for a place to camp further north, and eventually decided on Lake Piru in Ventura County. So after work I rushed home and grabbed everything I could think of: tent, sleeping bag, stove, flashlight, and fishing rod for the morning.

I got to the lake and checked in, getting a campsite not really as near the water as I had hoped. Realizing I had left my fishing license at home, I inquired as to the cost of a day license, but it just wasn't worth it. So no fishing for me in the morning. Blech.

Setting up my tent at the site, I realized that I had also left my food sitting in a grocery bag in my apartment. I had a plum and an orange, but my dinner and breakfast were neatly stiuated an hour and a half drive away. Frustrated, I got some firewood and prepared for a long night. About this time a woman from the site across the way from me (they looked like they had about 8 people: big base camp tent and two trucks) comes over and introduces herself, saying that her girlfriend felt bad because it looked like I was alone here. I explained that sometimes I just like getting away, and when invited to hang out with them I gave a "maybe" that meant "probably no." But a few minutes later, after I got my fire going, she came back, skipping arm-in-arm with a teenage girl, and asked if I could help get their fire going. So I decided I may as well socialize. I get to their fire ring and see a few huge, soaking wet logs simply smoking. The teenage son didn't realize that you need small, dry stuff to start the fire. Chalk it up to inexperience: everyone has to learn sometime. So I get the fire going while the whole group dogs on the son.

These people were really nice. Lots of fun. They offered me carne asada and Coors and tacos, even though I hadn't mentioned anything about my lack of food. And their food was good. For the rest of the evening I sat by their campfire, piecing together how they were all related (the teenage kids were the children from a previous relationship of the girlfriend of original woman who came to get me; her brother and his wife were also there; and there was a couple with them who were long-time friends with all of them) and talking about California life, outdoors, work, and other things. The kids were really interested in seeing the meteor shower, so I told them I'd get up around 1:30 am to head down to the lake and they could meet me then. Eventually, the last of the adults decided it was sleepy-time, and I retired to my tent as well. These folks saved my night.

Getting up at 1:30 wasn't that bad. I actually woke up a good ten minutes before my watch was set to beep. I tried to quietly get my shoes on but I realized that there were still a few campsites nearby where people were playing poker by lantern-light or stoking at the fire with spent marshmallow-sticks. I met the kids and we headed down to the lake to get away from the campground lights. Unfortunately, it was still awfully cloudy, but we were all troopers and stared up at the sky for nearly an hour. A few times, I wasn't sure if it was our eyes playing tricks or if there may have been a small break in the clouds, because it really did look like meteors, but not nearly as spectacular a show as last year. Nonetheless, it was nice to get out and feel the early-morning air and share it with these people who I just met.

I woke up with the sun, packed my things, and looked across the way to see the entire campsite sleeping well past 7:00. Before driving away I wrote a little note and left it on their picnic table, thanking them for the food and company last night.