2005-01-06

My duty as an American

I voted. I have a drivers' license. Therefore I am summoned at most once per year to serve on a jury, since every citizen has a right to a trial by his peers.

So I live in St. Louis approximately 48 weeks out of the year. But I still have a Illinois voter card, driver license, firearm owner card, library card, and mailing address (albeit with my parents). So of course the Circuit Court of Cook County summons me during one of the four weeks of the year that I am legitimately able to attend.

Being a good, honest citizen, not to mention one that has never been thru the judicial process beyond high school textbook readings, I went in with an open mind, excited to see how monumentally inefficient the process is. I figured I'd sit around most of the day, reading the Trib or catching up on some back issues of Pop Sci, collect my check for $17.40 that is not quite enough to cover parking at the train station, the round-trip fare, and a completely anti-wholesome lunch, and go home enlightened to the legal process. But as luck would have it, I was in one of the first groups called to a judge, and then I was one of the first twelve to be questioned by the attorneys.

Apparently they liked me. Or at least they thought I could keep a fair and open mind about the civil suit (of which I am not allowed to disclose any details until it has been decided). The judge assured me that the trial would be over by the middle of next week, so I won't miss any school over it, but I will need to delay my return trip to St. Louis.

So here's my verdict: I'll collect a check a day for the next few weekdays. If I pack a lunch I may be able to keep a few dollars from this. On the train I can get some quality reading done. I'll have more nights to catch up with my high school friends who are still around. I won't have as much time to clean my apartment or see St. Louis friends. My sister will need to get a plane ticket to STL since I was her ride and she needs to get there in time for sorority rush. And if the judge was right, I'll have gained an appreciation for how special our country's judicial system really is.