2005-01-30

Rediscovery

With last week's "Monday's Music Pick" still on my brain, and with some time to listen to music this weekend, I dusted off some cd's that hadn't had much playtime lately and rediscovered a few gems.

continued...

  • eastmountainsouth graced my spinner for two consecutive plays. Kat Maslich and Peter Adams sing as though they share a voice, and the music accompanying their chillingly perfect harmonies has touches of so many stylisting influences that their self-titled album doesn't really fit any genre but would please the ears of any music enthusiast.
  • Dispatch is another group that transcends genres, though I'd be willing to classify them somewhere between pop-rock and alternative-rock if I had to. This time I listened to their "Who Are We Living For?" album, which plays a bit louder than their other two studio albums, each of which has a distinct personality. From the first half of this one, I almost felt like they were taking a stab at a themed album, but whatever they intended it sure works.
  • Brendan Benson is one of those really talented musicians who just hasn't caught a break yet. His album "Lapalco," as I understand it, features Benson playing all the parts, from guitars to drums to keyboards to vocals to electronic effects. And it's not just some one-man experiment, but rather a catchy collection of tracks that I would compare to some of the Beatles' later work.