2005-09-13

Snap!

My classical guitar was in a crazy drop tuning (C#-G#-C#-F#-B-C#) for some time because I was just hooked on playing Willy Porter's "Moonbeam" when, out of the blue, I was in the kitchen and heard a pop that turned out to be my D string (now 1/2 step lower) breaking. I hadn't yet had a chance to replace it, but I figured since I couldn't remember the last time I had changed my strings that I best just put a whole new set on.

Last night I had some extra time and really wanted to get new strings on so I could play a bit, and play for K when she comes in--a matter of hours now!--so I sat on my futon with guitar in lap, package of Savarez Red Cards on my knee, and pitchpipe on the coffeetable. I changed all of them, despite taking a long time, and noted that it was probably one of the best string-applications I had done, based on how they were wrapped and tied off. I was putting on the finishing touches: one last stretch, one last retune, the snipping the loose ends. And I cut the G a little too close to the bridge, because as soon as I turned the guitar to play it, the string just snapped and unwound the last 1/4" where it had previously been securely looped.

So pardon me, because I need to run to a music store to pick up a set and an extra G.