2004-08-13

War Pigs

People who know me won't believe it. Yes, I love live music. But more often I'm at small venues watching up-and-coming singer-songwriters or small under-the-radar bands that happen to be passing thru town. But tonite was uncharacteristic. Tonite was OzzFest. ...continued

Suzi called me Wednesday afternoon and asked what I was doing Thursday. Turns out her brother's girlfriend won a radio contest and got 20 free tickets and free food & drink to see the show, and she got to go onstage and such. So, I was invited to OzzFest. I must say, Judas Priest rocking out, band clad in leather pants and big hair all rockin out in perfect synch, was pretty sweet. Black Sabbath also rocked it out, and I think my ears may be bleeding. I mean, 15th row, center, with no earplugs, really hurts in that great way that you only feel at concerts. Ozzie needed the mic stand to remain on his feet, and poured buckets of water or something off-colored (hopefully gatorade but possibly urine?) on the folks in the first row.

With respect to peoplewatching, I can't decide what was more amusing: the older men with mullets or ponytails, or the young preteens decked out in black clothing and metal-studded accessory. With respect to the music, I was pleased at how much I enjoyed the hard rock/metal given that my "comfort" genre is much lighter; pleased that I recognized many more songs than I thought I would; pleased that I really felt the music, even headbanging (as short as my hair is) and throwing my fist into the air (sans index and pinky devil sign). With respect to the people I went with and met there, let me simply say it was an interesting crowd.

It's now 3:15 am. I just got off the phone with one friend who is on her way home. I have a voicemail from another friend, in New Jersey, who I haven't talked to all summer. My apartment is about as messy as it gets and my folks are coming in tomorrow. I have to get up in a few hours for work. I rocked out with Ozzy Osbourne and now reek of cigarette smoke and beer. And I'm spilling my thoughts onto the computer screen. Yes, life is great.