2005-03-27

Real Surrealism

It could have been due to a number of things, but during my run this afternoon (which, by the way, was way harder than it should have been) I had an utterly surreal experience. I had just come from behind the art museum and was crossing in front of it. So here's the backdrop of a cloudy early-evening sky and the museum towering over my left side, the horseback rider statue overlooking the grand basin, water fountains and all, on my right, and some bright colorful kites in the air. I'm sure the kites' owners were lower down Art Hill, but they were standing where I couldn't see them from anywhere along the road. So with the muted grays of the scene during the brisk afternoon, and nobody else around to interfere, these kites are flying like tropical birds overhead. Too cool.