2004-08-17

Revision of my life plan

If there's one thing I've learned from interpersonal relationships in the last year or so, it is that trying to use a plan as an indication of the future is overly optimistic and dripping with futility. So when I talk of my "plans" for post-graduation--a full 9 months away--and how I want to start a biomed device company, no matter how sure I am, it is still a pipe dream.

I'm just too quick to find an idea or a person or a concept or a field that I like, and obsess about it, and make it my life, and talk about nothing else with the same enthusiasm. Those who know me have heard extensively about ...continuedthe Halo and about my summer internship; I'm doing a little better about keeping the lid on about Smart Chair but I still share any non-confidential details willingly.

So now my new thing. Well, I haven't yet come to the point of uber-enthusiasm, but it may very well get there. Today after class I went to a meeting for work. Some folks from St. Jude Medical were in to discuss the logistics, legal and otherwise, of their bringing projects to Wash U for senior design classes. I've met Jon before on several occasions, and Bob seemed pretty nice as well. Hearing about their corporate culture, especially after talking to a number of recent WU alums who were hired and absolutely love SJM, it seems that may be a logical step in my career development. They can train you in many different aspects of the business (for those of you who don't know, St. Jude does a lot with the heart--cardiac rhythm management, stents, etc.--as well as other biomed applications) including design, quality assurance, technical support, clinical and field operations, sales, and more. The whole "package" is what drew me to entrepreneurism, and it seems that SJM may be a great place to "learn" these skills without risking losing my house and my professional reputation if a startup flops.

Like I said, I'm still not totally sold. But I sure as hell wrote down the dates that they'll be back for recruiting. Ken mused afterward that he thought they looked ready to hire me on the spot. Come to think of it, it wouldn't be so bad to build professional skills and reputation at a solid company out in California!

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous wrote...

I've found longer-term plans are only useful as goals, maybe the difference is just how plans are goals with better potential. Planning is like walking across a cityscape. Maybe you want to get yourself to that magnificent domed monument rising above the cosmopolis, maybe its size tricks you into thinking it's a whole lot closer than it really is. So you start walking. You realize, in short time, just how far from the monument you still stand. You start to test different routes to get there quicker, you even walk diagonal and backtrack a bit, and in due time you find yourself walking down alleys you never would have given a second glance before. Maybe you give up on the dome altogether because you've found the perfect coffee shop, or the perfect square with a beautiful fountain and no tourists around to annoy you. Maybe you finally make it to the dome, and if you do, you just as well might find yourself more impressed with yourself and what you've seen as you made your way there. You could very well stand beneath that tremendous halfsphere - singularly one of the most significant feats of human engineering - and you say to yourself, "It sure is fantastic, but it's not as striking as I expected it." If that's the case, you've had a great case of perspective. This all is flowery metaphor and only counts if you accept the premise that there is a dome and that there are streets leading to it.

-- Chris

6:05 PM  
Blogger Stu wrote...

Interesting metaphor, Chris. I agree that often the dome is not the most spectacular find, and that along the way to the dome I'll get sidetracked looking at the grafitti in the alleys or making conversation with a shopkeeper. This is even more pronounced in my life because I'm stubborn and choose not to ask for directions if I have an inkling I can find the dome on my own.

On the other hand, Gary, one of the folks I work for/with, who has been in the industry for something like 25 years and has been involved in more "failures" than "successes" in a strict business sense (though his so-called failures were very helpful in his personal and career development), has a different perspective. While he didn't speak exactly of a plan but rather of determination, he said that small companies and young engineers tend to do things that large corporations and seasoned veterans cannot, simply because they are determined to do so and do not "know" that it "can't" be done. Chalk it up to ignorance of customary limits or to youthful enthusiasm, but the determination to reach a goal seems to be what turns a plan into an achievement.

6:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous wrote...

I’ve been involved in a startup and I currently work for a large corporation. That is a sample size of one (each), which isn’t statistically significant, but I think the experiences I had at each company are fairly common. I’ll happily rattle on for quite a while about each if you want to hear some time. Personally though, I’d rather work for a startup. But really, the company doesn’t matter so much as the people you work with and the projects you work on. Oh yeah, don’t worry about being part of a failed startup. Failure looks good on your resume, especially if you spin it the right way. You learn way more by being part of a failure – because with hindsight you see all of the things that went wrong and how you should have reacted differently. With success, you gloss over things that could have been done better. That being said, if you interview with a startup, YOU really need to interview THEM, as there are plenty of idiots out there with a little bit of funding. And if you want to start your own company, then let me know – my various mad skilz could come in handy!

1:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous wrote...

oh, I guess I should have signed my prev comment.
-Brent

4:19 PM  
Blogger Stu wrote...

If I had to guess, I would have said it was you, Brent. I don't think I've got a whole lot of "random" people commenting...yet. But then again, maybe your lack of signing your post is just an indication of how the big-corporate culture has separated you from your identity!

Oh, and I will definitely come to you if I need someone in my biz with "mad skilz."

5:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous wrote...

You said...

"trying to use a plan as an indication of the future is overly optimistic and dripping with futility"

I have to say, I saw that sentence and that is the best way I have ever seen someone write that sentiment. I've learned that myself through many lessons these past few months. What you shouldn't forget, however, is how quickly things can and do change for the better.

Your blog is great, by the way. Seriously.

- Sara Y.

P.S. I think Lindsey Raddatz might have worked for St. Jude when she was on co-op in LA so you might want to ask her about it.
P.P.S. www.livejournal.com/~selizara if you're interested.

7:20 AM  

What do you think?

<< Home