2004-09-18

Back to modernity

Big day today:

I ordered a new Dell Axim handheld computer to replace my now-defunct Handspring Visor. Well, the Visor just wasn't syncing with my PC anymore, probably a driver problem on the PC side rather than the handheld side, but when it crashed big-time last week and I lost all the data, rather than spending any more than the hour-and-a-half I had already burned trying to fix the synchronization problem, I resolved to finally get the Pocket PC I had been waiting for. I hope this one lives up to my expectations. If we can get the Visor to work on my dad's computer, then we'll see about converting my mom to the digital age.

Also got a new phone finally. The old one's vibrate function had ceased to work and the phone would occasionally turn itself off even with sufficient battery life. I wanted to get the cheapest, lowest-tech mobile phone possible, but Sprint didn't stock anything of the caliber I was looking for and ended up with a Samsung phone that has color screen, organizer, voice dial, downloadable ring tones, and a browser. Seeing as I use my phone pretty much only as a phone, the color and browser are useless; I don't hear any of those new-fangled ring tones well, so I'm sticking with the old-fashioned, shrill, "single tone" ringers; the voice dial may be a neat toy but time will tell if I use it beyond just its novelty period.