2005-11-01

Daylight Savings Colors

The red eyes of the clock stare at me: 5:06. After a bit of tossing around, I manage to rouse my bones from their slumber and walk to the bathroom, guided by my aqua-green outlet light.

I left work last night at the usual time, but this was the first such drive home that required headlights. That considered, I opted to pass on my half-desire to release the day's excess with a run, instead staying home to pass out candy to the neighborhood children in glow-in-the-dark superhero costumes.

After spitting fluorescent blue mouthwash and wiping fresh green toothpaste foam from my lips, I put up a pot of coffee, black, and donned my engineering orange long-sleeve tee for visibility. Going outside, the sun had not yet risen above the mountains in the east, but was casting a dark golden haze up towards a navy sky. Mars was the only celestial body I could distinguish through the glow of streetlights against the fading morning sky. With cool air filling my lungs, I ran down the still-incomplete path next to the riverbed the usual 15 minutes out. By the time I turned back, the sun's influences were creeping over most of the hills around me. Making my final turn, the morning clouds shone clearly in delicate shades of pink and blue. From night to day in 30 minutes, and I witnessed the entire transformation. I could get used to this.