2004-09-20

Two weeks of hoofin' it.

Yesterday I hit Castlewood on bike for the first time since I fell a few months back. This was the first time I've ever been there with an experienced group--normally I'd go alone or with one other person of generally the same ability level as me. We rode pretty fast for my standards, and covered quite a few miles of trail. Loads of fun! I had a few problems with my bike though, so this morning I cleaner her up and brought her into the shop.

Besides a tuneup, I'll need a new chain--I had a twisted link, causing a lot of slippage--and new reflectors on my pedals--they fell off somewhere on the trail. I also asked about clipless pedals, and may make the upgrade soon. I just need to suck it up and drop the $75 for shoes and $60 for a nice broad clipless mountain pedal, but from everyone I've spoken with, clipless will make worlds of difference in my riding.

But now, since the shop is a bit backed up, I'm bikeless until October 1. Guess I'll bust out my walking shoes, maybe hit the shuttle a bit too, since I sure don't want to have to drive to class.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous wrote...

check out www.sierratradingpost.com they usually have a deal or two on shoes and clips.

John

7:56 AM  
Blogger Stu wrote...

Thanks John, I'll check out Sierra. However, with something as potentially hazardous as locking my feet into the pedals (remember, I'm the fall-king) I wouldn't mind try-before-buy. Plus, getting it in-store, I can actually *talk* to several cyclists, mechanics, and such, getting a clearer picture of what to do and how to do it, maybe picking up some tips and pointers. But once I've tried it and know what I want to get, I'll at least do a price-check online. Good suggestion!

2:42 PM  

What do you think?

<< Home