2004-11-23

A nontraditional Thanksgiving ahead.

Rather than sitting around a dinnertable with family, the centerpiece of the table being the cornucopia, smell of turkey in the air, with sweet potatoes and pumpkin pie and cranberries (as I drool on my keyboard here), I will be somewhere near here. Where is this, you ask?

My family is flying out to Arizona, pretty far south, to "visit" my grandparents. In reality, we're going to be, starting early Thursday morning, in the Huachuca Mountains, sleeping under the stars, eating powerbars instead of turkey, carrying all our gear and food, trying to avoid rattlesnakes and scorpions, exploring abandoned mines, pretty much just having a ball.

When I get back I'm sure to post a debriefing and probably a picture or at least a link to another online album.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous wrote...

Some of the stuff you do sounds so great.
Then I realize what you are giving up and I realize that the stuff you do sucks.

I will think of you when I am in Chinatown in San Francisco and then in the Redwood Forest this weekend!

I will also think of you when I am eating Turkey Sammiches and Greens and touching my butt!

Suzi

10:38 AM  
Blogger Stu wrote...

Yeah, you're not the only one who thinks I'm crazy for missing Thanksgiving dinner. But my old man is getting older, and he very seldom can take time off work, and he's wanted to do this hike with us for a few years now and not sure how long his back can bear the weight of a pack.

I was pushing for us to bring a can of cranberries on the hike, and maybe some turkey-spam or something. But my little sis has a rule: "if it had feet, I will not eat." So no turkey for us.

Enjoy San Fran!

10:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous wrote...

1. Enjoy your father while you can - I think you know why this is so important to me.

2. I am happy to be going where I'm going because I get to be outdoors and doing cool things but I also get to eat Thanksgiving stuff.

3. Your sister pains me.

4. You have a good time, too, babes. We'll see you next weekend!

12:04 PM  
Blogger Stu wrote...

Sorry, I was being way too dire about #1. I'm just saying that, more and more, he hurt when he exerts himself physically. Though he'll still do anything (and more) if he decides it will be fun and/or crazy. He's nearly 50 and still thinks like he's 20. So yes, I do enjoy his company.

2:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous wrote...

That's just bad form; it gives camels a bad name.

Kurp

5:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous wrote...

Hey Stu - so Zo tried to pass that engineering joke off as his own - just an FYI and how the heck are you!? I am a dork and read your blog even though i am a fan of the livejournal - that is what i use :o) Take care!!
Karen

4:36 PM  

What do you think?

<< Home