2004-09-21

Hoofin' it a little bit faster

My running for the last several months has been generally slow distance, say 7:45-8:15 pace for 4-7 miles. I haven't run a time trial or a race in at least three years, excluding intramural track, which was once a year during which I ran a few sprints. I had all but forgotten what it feels like to be (somewhat) fast.

Today I decided I'd do a timed mile. Started with a nice 2-mile jog over to the track, then ran a hard 1600m on the clock. Sure enough, I shattered my old PR that had been standing for three and a half years. The old: 6:13. The new: 5:57. And I felt good afterward, like I could have shaved a few more seconds off had someone been pacing me. I think I may start doing intervals once a week now, maybe get into race shape in time for the Turkey Trots and such.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous wrote...

getting to the track at least once a week, as boring as it is, helps you destroy your time. At the beginning of the summer I was at something like a 6:30 mile, but now it's down to the 5:00 mark. If you want a pace I can help you out.

12:52 PM  
Blogger The Three Tavelers wrote...

It's all about pace. When I was in high school I ran distance but the mile was too fast of a race for me. On the track, I ran 5:30's (which isn't that fast). For you to run a sub 6, training on your own and running by yourself is excellent. The best way to shave some more time off is to do some speed workouts during the week, mixed in with your distance workouts. I'd say 2x a week (if you run 5 days) do a mile breakdown (run 4 laps, stop, 3 laps, stop, 2 laps, stop, one lap, stop, a 200 stop and a 100 and stop. Then work your way back up.

3:03 PM  

What do you think?

<< Home