2004-09-22

What a concept!

I heard a pair of songs in the car but wasn't near enough a computer to get to the radio station's "Last Four Played" playlist in time to figure out what they were. So I Googled "radio playlist," and in the first page of hits was ...continued Yes, Inc. So I figured I'd give it a try. The search was a bit slow, but Yes has a whole lot of cities, with most if not all the radio stations in those cities, and additionally MTV, MTV2, and VH1 listings. You can find the playlists for the last 24 hours of any of these.

Clicking around a bit more on the Yes website, it appears that in addition to a web-based playlist database, they offer services for radio stations and artists. For example, a listener can dial #YES on his or her phone to get info from the station regarding current or recently-played songs, contests, etc. Listeners can rate songs, buy albums, and sometimes even connect with artists.

Going through some of their "tour," the demos reminded me stylistically of that computer game from a few years ago, You Don't Know Jack. Just the way they presented their services made them look like a fun, innovative, useful company. Given more time, I'll look into them further. As a music buff, I feel obligated to support such a good idea in music interactivity.